Most employers require Addiction Practitioners to have, or be working towards, a professional registration. Addiction Practitioners may apply for registration with dapaanz. See the dapaanz website for more details about the criteria. 

People with other relevant registrations, such as Social Workers, Nurses or Occupational Therapists, are also sometimes employed into Addiction Practitioner roles.


To be employed as an Addiction Practitioner you will need a relevant qualification at an appropriate level (usually an applied Bachelor level qualification). For more information about which qualification to do and where they are available, click on the option that most applies to you below. The qualifications which can include problem gambling papers have been highlighted.

1) Will this be your first Bachelor qualification?


No (go to question 2)

2) Is your Bachelor qualification relevant to working as an Addiction Practitioner?

Yes (go to question 3)


Unsure (see the dapaanz website).

3) Is your Bachelor qualification applied?



Unsure (see the dapaanz website or the Membership and Practitioner Registration Policy).

Funding for Fees

The scholarship and funding programmes listed below can assist people to access free or subsidised qualifications. 

NB: While this information was accurate at the time of writing (August, 2020), we recommend that you confirm that the details remain correct before deciding on a plan.

< back