Addiction Support Workers may apply for endorsement from dapaanz. See the dapaanz website for more details.


Qualifications aren’t always needed to start working as a Support Worker, but you may need to gain one while working, with the support of your employer. The NZ Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Social and Community Services) (Level 4) is the preferred qualification, particularly with the Mental Health and Addiction Support strand.

Having a NZ Certificate in Health and Wellbeing, or another qualification that has been assessed as equivalent is linked to higher wages.

Funding for Fees

Studying for a certificate may be funded and be free to complete. For example, through the Targeted Training and Apprenticeship fund

Education Providers

The education providers listed below offer this certificate with the Mental Health and Addiction Support strand in the northern region (wider Auckland and Northland).  

Education Provider



Online learning.

Apprenticeship for people employed as a Support Worker.

Open Polytechnic

Online learning.

Kalandra Education Group

Online learning, while working.


Kaitaia, Kerikeri and Whangārei

Ringa Atawhai Mataurangi Ltd.




Manukau Institute of Technology


Future Skills Academy

Manukau and Royal Oak

NB: While this information was accurate at the time of writing (August, 2020), we recommend that you confirm that the details remain correct before deciding on a plan.

< back